Psychology,  Treatment

For Fast and Sure Relief from Opioid Dependence, Rapid Detoxification Is an Excellent Choice

Drug Addict

Everybody knows that drugs cause health problems for drug addicts. However, it is not the addicts alone who suffer from the influence of harmful drugs because their actions and behavior pose health risks for the larger section of the society. Therefore, making people free from drug addiction acquires much more importance. While families of drug addicts have to suffer, others who do not have a direct association with addicts remain exposed to health risks arising from the addicted. The consequences of addiction can harm the people in the society in many ways.

Pregnant women who suffer from drug abuse pose serious health risks for the unborn child. After birth, the child can experience neonatal abstinence (NAS) identical to drug withdrawal symptoms. It can also happen when the nursing mother breastfeeds the child. Although the symptoms vary depending on the drugs used, problems with feeding, sleeping and seizures and tremors are quite common. As the child is exposed to drug abuse, he or she is likely to face developmental issues. The child can grow up with difficulties in attention, thinking, and behavior. Research is yet to ascertain if the problems reduce with growing age or it could even persist later.

Misuse of prescription drugs like opioids is also responsible for unsafe driving and the rise in the number of accidents and fatalities. The experience is similar to that of alcohol addiction that blurs vision and generates brain fogginess that affects the normal human reflexes and cause accidents. In 2016, 12 million people in the US reported to driving under the influence of drugs of some kind; mostly illegal like marijuana. After alcohol, drugs are primarily responsible for road accidents while driving.

Drugs cause mental disorders

There is a close relation between drugs and mental disorders as both may co-exist. Some people who suffer from schizophrenia, anxiety, and depression are likely to become dependent on drugs hoping to improve their mental condition. Some others who start taking drugs and get addicted can experience various mental disorders, and it can even worsen pre-existing conditions. When people use drugs to alleviate anxiety and depression or some other psychiatric conditions, they can get addicted to drugs that create a feeling of virtual well being. Instead of people using medicine for the cure, the drugs become a cause for diseases.

Drugs increase the risks of infection

Drugs can cause health vulnerabilities that increase the risks of acquiring infections and even threaten lives. If you ignorantly share injection equipment with addicts, it increases the chances of contracting hepatitis C or HIV that can have fatal consequences. Skin infection like cellulitis and infection to the heart and heart valves known as endocarditis can also happen from sharing contaminated needles. The misuse of opioids is on the rise as is evident from the cases of opioid overdoses that grew by 30% between July 2016 and September 2017 across 52 areas of the 45 states of the US surveyed.

The opioid problem

Among the most concerning aspect of drug abuse is the threat of opioid dependence among people who start taking it in the form of prescription drugs. The drugs work well for people suffering from some chronic pain, but almost 21% to 29% of patients using the medicine start misusing it out of which 8% to 12 % develop some disorders. People who abuse opioid drugs have high chances, almost 80% of taking up heroin in the future.

Freeing people from drug addiction

To save individuals as well as the society from the stranglehold of opioids and other drugs, prescribed or illegal, it has become necessary to enforce drug rehabilitation programs more aggressively. Despite the effectiveness of drug rehabilitation programs, people are often averse to it because it takes a long time to give results; sometimes three months or more depending on the severity of the addiction. Besides, the fear of the pain and agony accompanying the withdrawals often discourage people from going through the process. However, a speedier and pain-free method of opioid addiction treatment is available through the Rapid Opioid Detoxification. This form of de-addiction ensures faster relief without the person experiencing withdrawals. If you have the required medical fitness and are mentally prepared for the procedure, you should be a fit candidate for it.

Withdrawal signs and symptoms

Withdrawal symptoms start showing up when the brain stops receiving its dose of opioid drugs. The body experiences muscle pain, joint pain, nausea, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, diarrhea, and severe cravings for the drug. It results in acute physical and mental discomfort and can last from several days to weeks after cutting off the opioid supply. Some people are so afraid to face the situation that they prefer to stay away from trying to undergo any drug rehabilitation program. Cold turkey withdrawals associated with opioids can last for 14 days.

Quick, safe and pain-free treatment

Rapid drug detoxification is a drug rehabilitation program that takes only three days to complete as compared to 3 months minimum required for other traditional Drug rehabilitation programs. The fast-acting treatment is gaining popularity for the apparent reason. Moreover, as patients are sedated with medicine, they remain unaware of the withdrawal symptoms until it subsides. As a result, they do not experience the pain and distress associated with withdrawals. Besides driving out the drugs from the system through the process of detoxification, patients undergo Naltrexone therapy that ensures there would be no relapse, which is often the cause of failing drug rehabilitation programs. Rapid drug detoxification is a medical treatment and carried out by a team of Board-certified doctors comprising of a physician, anesthesia specialist, and addiction specialist.

The psychiatric condition of the patient contributes to the success of recovery from opioids and other drugs because unless the patient has the will to recover, the treatment can never work well. There will be times of intense cravings that patients have to overcome with the help of their willpower and the guidance of doctors.

Charles Brown is a freelance writer and blogger. He contributes to various blogs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *